We can't become who we need to be by remaining who we are - Oprah

Saturday 28 April 2012

Lord! What fools these mortals be...

So I thought I'd start with a little bit about my current project, which is my final major project for my second year at university...

I've always enjoyed reading, and it just seemed fitting to base my gift-wrap and card design project on A Midsummer Night's Dream - who doesn't love a bit of Shakespeare right?

taken from (http://www.arthurmag.com/author/aliapenner/)

The 1959 stop motion film of A Midsummer Night's Dream by Jiri Trnka was my main source of inspiration. I just love those inky blues and mystical purples with splashes of green from the trees!

The quirky style of Trnka made me think about my primary sources, and I quickly decided to focus on stark tree silhouettes for my imagery. I've always liked the eerie style of Arthur Rackham's children's illustrations and his strange anthropomorphised tree imagery...

taken from (http://www.creativecloseup.com/arthur-rackham-a-life-with-illustration)

So, with my two sources of inspiration, I set out with my trusty Nikon Camera to take forest imagery as the sun began to go down and night time set in...

Here are a few of my favourites...







Excited to get out my watercolours (love those purples!) and craft knife to do some beautiful blended backgrounds and some hand-cutwork!

More work and research inspiration to come....

Jessica :)

No comments:

Post a Comment